Skip to main content

Caudillos Versus the Nation State

 

The two topics I wanted to cover regarding this weeks lecture are the advantages and attractions of liberalism, and on the opposite end of the spectrum, the attractions of caudillaje. The main attraction behind liberalism is how idealistic it is. Liberalism ideally, sounds peaceful, beneficial, and preaches about equality being its main focus. There's a big emphasis on the freedom of the individual from restrictive, harsh laws. While certain groups thrive under this ideology, others don't. For instance, equality and individuality are a vital part of liberalism, but can equality really be reached? Perhaps under the law, yes, but in practice, it's obviously not so easy. Even today, countries that are considered liberal still struggle with inequality amongst its citizens. Specifically, people of colour still struggle for their equality. Inequality includes a plethora of issues, ranging from police brutality, to microaggressions that we don't even realize we're partaking in. This leads me to my next topic of why people would be less attracted to liberalism and more attracted to caudillaje. My first discussion question for this topic is as follows: do you think liberalism is the best way to go about governing a society? If not, what do you see as a better fit?

The first reason people may be happy to engage with caudillaje, is because of wealth. People with lower socioeconomic status (SES) may feel that they're not actually taken care of when it comes to liberalism. This can come about when they experience inequalities at the hand of someone with a higher SES, and that person faces no punishment for their actions. Another perk of the caudillo system for someone with a lower SES, is the ability to take rival groups, and potentially make money from their feud. As mentioned in the lecture, people had the possibility of getting money if they were to show their support for a certain group. When struggling to make ends meet, an offer like that can prove to be greatly beneficial.  My discussion question for this topic is what other social group may have a problem with liberalism, and why?

Comments

  1. Hey Jenniah!
    Your arguments regarding liberalism are all really valid issues! I think one group that would’ve had a big problem with liberalism are the elite. Since liberalism advocates for equality for all, I think many of those who were higher up on the hierarchy would’ve been against the idea of being seen as an equal as those who are 'lower' than them. I feel like those who are ‘on top’ would not like to associate themselves with people of lower class or a different race.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that the Caudillo system was the best fit for the post colonial society. I think this because we know how much racism there was during the colonial era. For example the casta paintings were made to define people based on their race, and ultimately make assumptions about their lives. This discrimination, would have never worked in a liberal system. I believe that this is why the caudillo system was so well received. Even though I don't believe it offered any prospects for those of lower SES, as you refer to them. I don't think this system was made to help them grow, because you had to have some sort of power or status to thrive.
    Sarita :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. As you said, I think those who are more disadvantaged would be more attracted to the Caudillo system. Liberalism has big promises, but it doesn't always follow through, which leaves people having to fend for themselves. If liberalism is able to be implemented properly and is actually followed through then it is amazing, but when it is only applied partially then people fall through the cracks and resort to other methods e.i. the Caudillos. I think that societal elites would have a problem with liberalism. The concept to liberalism is in essence to make a collectivized middle class with equitable distribution. People who are more elite would have more issue with this. - madeleine k.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Meeting of Two Worlds

I found the lecture for this week, titled, "The Meeting of Two Worlds", very enlightening. I’ve known for a long time now that the morality of Christopher Columbus’ journey is been controversial, but I hadn’t known that people were thinking the same thing as early as the sixteenth century. I also learned lots about Columbus' personality that I hadn't known before. This week’s lecture provided me with a better insight to what he was really feeling during his trip. For instance, I didn't know that Columbus had been so insecure and full of anxiety regarding his journey. Up until this point, the narrative that I was told about Columbus is that he was a hero, he made the world we live in today, and that he was always sure of himself. I think that this lecture really humanizes him. Learning that he wasn’t as confident as we thought, or that he had no idea he was discovering anything of value makes him more realistic. I believe that it’s important for the average person

The Colonial Experience

  I found the readings for this week very thought provoking in terms of rebellion and gender roles. Upon reading the story of Catalina de Erauso, I was convinced that I had just read an amazing rebellion story. Girl, run away at 15, pretending to be a man, killing people including her own brother, and a classic womanizer, convinced me of her being a rebel. I then examined the story more closely, and came to realize that while part of her story was about a rebellious teenager, there’s the other part where she fights as a soldier to push colonialism. Her story is not as black and white as I initially thought, and this is a lesson that I’ve already learned a couple times in this class. While she spends her entire story lying and hiding her identity, she also spends that time serving the state, and perpetuating colonialism. She talks greatly about her battles against the “Indians”, and how she slaughtered many of them, bestowing such honour on her war stories. I’m curious about what she th