Skip to main content

Independence Narratives, Past & Present

 

This week, the first topic I wanted to touch on was why we turn to history. History has many uses. The average person may develop an interest in history for any number of reasons. I think that in a way, as humans, we find comfort in history. While the future is untold, and many people would agree, unpredictable, history has already occurred, been recorded, and observed by many. We can of course, still be cynical regarding the actions taken by historical figures, but I think we find a sense of comfort in reading a story in which the ending is concrete, and understood by many. Someone like a politician, or lawyer, however, may look at history for a different reason. For instance, a lawyer may look to history for precedence regarding a case they’re working on. To create a stronger argument, they may draw your attention to a similar case that already happened. A politician, may look to history to draw a quote from a great historical figure. They may even compare themselves to said figure, like Alexander the Great, Winston Churchill etc. To me, a politician looks to history to brand themselves. There are so many uses for history beyond just another course for students to take. My discussion question for this topic is how does the way we study history impact the way we understand it?
 
The second topic I wanted to cover was why Martí writes the way he does. As covered in the lecture, his letter is chock-full of metaphors and allegories. I think the reason he uses so many allegories is because he thinks it’s the easiest way to get his point across. Often times, people of a high intelligence, while they may be smart, struggle to teach, or communicate their thoughts. I think the way he communicates that the Americas are a “sleepy hometown” helps to emphasize the point he’s trying to make. Communicating through letters can also bring more struggles than talking to someone. While you have more time to perfect what you’re saying, it’s not always as easy to predict the other persons response. I think his excessive use of allegories is meant to paint a picture of Latin America. Sometimes, however, I think that the overuse of allegories can hurt more than help. For eventually, the entire text becomes an allegory, and it gets harder to understand rather than easier. My discussion question for this section is how do we balance out the amount of metaphors/allegories used so that our text still makes sense?


Comments

  1. Hi!
    I found your first topic about why we turn to history really interesting and I've never thought about that before. I guess, like you said, learning history is like reading a book which always has a certain ending. I think the way we learn history really does affects the way we understand it. For example, studying about war from the perspective of the winners and of the losers can drastically change the way a person views the events which happened.
    I think for your second discussion question, metaphors/allegories should be used to help grasp complex ideas and so, the two should come after the idea worded in literal terms(if that makes sense). Unless the authors goal is to make the reader freely interpret the text from various different angles, I personally prefer the amount of explanations and metaphors/allegories to be half and half.
    Thanks for giving me the opportunity to ponder about new ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I personally found it quite difficult to read Martí’s letter. While it’s a super interesting piece to analyze because of the metaphors and allegories, I think they also make it a little bit confusing to follow. In other words, instead of thinking about Martí’s main points, I found myself trying to analyze the metaphors and make sense of them. Of course, maybe I am saying all this because I like reading texts when the message is clear and direct! haha

    ReplyDelete

  3. I enjoyed your post and I thought your points were really interesting! I think the way we study history is always through some sort of lens whether it be through the time period in which we live, our life experiences, gender, race, etc. I think it can be difficult to look at history through a solely objective point of view without imparting some piece of us in it. How we come understand is relating it to us in some way.- Madeleine k.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Meeting of Two Worlds

I found the lecture for this week, titled, "The Meeting of Two Worlds", very enlightening. I’ve known for a long time now that the morality of Christopher Columbus’ journey is been controversial, but I hadn’t known that people were thinking the same thing as early as the sixteenth century. I also learned lots about Columbus' personality that I hadn't known before. This week’s lecture provided me with a better insight to what he was really feeling during his trip. For instance, I didn't know that Columbus had been so insecure and full of anxiety regarding his journey. Up until this point, the narrative that I was told about Columbus is that he was a hero, he made the world we live in today, and that he was always sure of himself. I think that this lecture really humanizes him. Learning that he wasn’t as confident as we thought, or that he had no idea he was discovering anything of value makes him more realistic. I believe that it’s important for the average person

The Colonial Experience

  I found the readings for this week very thought provoking in terms of rebellion and gender roles. Upon reading the story of Catalina de Erauso, I was convinced that I had just read an amazing rebellion story. Girl, run away at 15, pretending to be a man, killing people including her own brother, and a classic womanizer, convinced me of her being a rebel. I then examined the story more closely, and came to realize that while part of her story was about a rebellious teenager, there’s the other part where she fights as a soldier to push colonialism. Her story is not as black and white as I initially thought, and this is a lesson that I’ve already learned a couple times in this class. While she spends her entire story lying and hiding her identity, she also spends that time serving the state, and perpetuating colonialism. She talks greatly about her battles against the “Indians”, and how she slaughtered many of them, bestowing such honour on her war stories. I’m curious about what she th

Caudillos Versus the Nation State

  The two topics I wanted to cover regarding this weeks lecture are the advantages and attractions of liberalism, and on the opposite end of the spectrum, the attractions of caudillaje. The main attraction behind liberalism is how idealistic it is. Liberalism ideally, sounds peaceful, beneficial, and preaches about equality being its main focus. There's a big emphasis on the freedom of the individual from restrictive, harsh laws. While certain groups thrive under this ideology, others don't. For instance, equality and individuality are a vital part of liberalism, but can equality really be reached? Perhaps under the law, yes, but in practice, it's obviously not so easy. Even today, countries that are considered liberal still struggle with inequality amongst its citizens. Specifically, people of colour still struggle for their equality. Inequality includes a plethora of issues, ranging from police brutality, to microaggressions that we don't even realize we're partak